Yes, ladies and gents- football season is upon us. I am a huge fan of college sports and am really excited to see how the Cornhuskers do this year! Whoooo! It's going to be a GOOD year.
Now, with football comes food, food and more food, right? These wings are sweet and spicy. Oh and really, really, REALLY messy. Isn't that what life is all about? Good food, good friends, good times and not stressing over anything.
The wings are slathered and swimming in a homemade spicy teriyaki sauce. I make this amazing teriyaki sauce in a batch large enough to fill two eight ounce jars.
The wings are slow cooked for a few hours in the flavorful sauce. Be forewarned, your house is going to smell AMAZING!!!
I always think that they look a like "meh" when they come out the slow cooker but they are totally fall over the bone, melt-in-your-mouth delicious. I like to throw them in the broiler for a few minutes just caramelize them but it's not necessary.
And dig into these messy, savory and wonderful wings that are super sticky and messy. Especially if you are ME! Ha.
I spill the sauce everywhere so I keep soft, strong and cloth-like paper towels handy. My favorite are the Viva® Vantage® Towels. They don't tear easily, they are are stretchy and make clean up EASY.
I buy them by the 12 pack at Walmart so I don't ever run out. I use them for EVERYTHING. Cleaning up craft messes, and every other spot in my casa!
Ready to make some WINGSSSSS?!!!
These are SO easy and you will be glad you made them. Girl Scout's honor!
Spicy Teriyaki Sauce Recipe:
1 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Water
1/4 cup Mirin (rice wine)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp Sambal Oelek (an Asian chili paste. You can sub with any chili flakes you like)
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
1. Combine all ingredients through Sambal Oelek in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
2. In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch and water (stir until smooth).
3. Add cornstarch to the sauce in the sauce pan and continue stirring until thickened and remove from heat.
4. Pour into jars and refrigerate.
Recipe makes up to two right ounce jars and lasts about two weeks in the refrigerator.
Slow Cooker Spicy Teriyaki Wings
2- 3 lbs chicken wingettes and drumettes
1 jar of spicy teriyaki sauce
Sesame seeds, optional.
1. Place chicken into slow cooker.
2. Pour teriyaki sauce over the chicken and stir to make sure wings are coated.
3. Cook on high 2-3 hours or low 3-4 hours. Time will vary based on your slow cooker.
4. Remove from slow cooker and sprinkle sesame seeds over the chicken (optional)
5. Optional: Place wings on cookie sheet and broil for a few minutes- just until beautifully charred.
Enjoy and don't forget to have Viva® Vantage® Towels handy because... your hands and home will thank you.
What are YOUR favorite game day foods?
Like this recipe?
Share it on your favorite social media channels!