October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and are you looking for ways to #FightBackBetter or How to help someone fighting against breast cancer? I am sharing some tips on how to help someone who is fighting the battle against breast cancer!
This post is partnered with al fresco gourmet chicken but I was not compensated financially for this post and my desire to support breast cancer patients is on my own. Any way to support a great cause, I am always here for it!
October is my favorite month- Halloween, fall, pumpkins, sweater weather and the changing of leaves. As the author of the Anne of Green Gables series, L.M. Montgomery, wrote "
“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” October is also a great month when it comes to awareness- there are multiple important causes that are being commemorated this month such as "Breast Cancer Awareness", "Down Syndrome Awareness", "National Bullying Awareness", "Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness" and many more! October is an important month in so many ways.
Recently, several women I know, respect and love dearly have been diagnosed with breast cancer. It's a devastating diagnosis and even more so as all of these women are young- under 40. My aunt lose her battle in 2013. A dear friend of mine lost her battle at the age of 38.
The trail of devastation left behind is immeasurable. Many of those I know who have been recently diagnosed live far away and I wondered- what can I do to help them and their families? The costs financially will be steep. The volume of fatigue they will be living with will be great while they go through treatment. The mental health battle will be great.
To help those who are far away- I sent gift cards for restaurants in their area. Any little bit helps. They shouldn't have to worry about being able to find the energy to cook AND eat.
For my neighbor who was recently diagnosed, I went to her home to help clean her kitchen, living room and do a load of laundry. I have been exhausted lately to cook big meals but I plan to make extra this weekend and bring over extra servings.
Need some extra ideas to help someone you know #FightBackBetter?
Of course, women aren't the only ones who get diagnosed with breast cancer and some of these may not be pertinent for men who are battling breast cancer but most are!
1. Buy some groceries and come to their home and help make some freezer meals so they can just heat and eat!
2. Come over and help tidy up. Do dishes, take out the trash, tidy up the living room, and even do a load of laundry!
3. Send over a goodie basket full of treats, snacks, books, toiletries, and anything else that you know they would love!
4. Gift cards to places like Walmart, Target, Walgreens and local restaurants.
5. Movie night! If they are up to it, invite them out for a movie and if not, how about a movie night in?
6. Participate in a breast cancer walk/event! al fresco supports the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Walk in Boston but there are events all over the country! Walk or participate in your friend/family member's honor! Find a local event here
Do you have additional ideas on how to #FightBackBetter? Please share them in a comment.
Even better- Every time someone uses the hashtag #fightbackbetter on social media, al fresco donates a meal to The Ellie Fund, an organization in Massachusetts that provides essential support services for breast cancer patients and their families like free meals and grocery store gift certificates. Share on social media!