|This is "Jazz Loves Disney" post is a sponsored post from Disney Music and One2One Network. All opinions are my own|
Who else still remembers all the words to "The Bare Necessities" from "The Jungle Book"? I know I do and EVERY time I hear it, I start singing along and visualize Baloo and Mowgli dancing and singling. I love that now, my daughter is experiencing the magic of Disney movies and music. They're enduring and memorable.
Disney's latest album is absolutely magical and I am obsessed. "Jazz Loves Disney" is an absolutely beautiful compilation of timeless songs. The fusion of jazz with Disney classics is a masterpiece and needs to be in any music lovers collection. The soothing voices of artists like Stacey Kent and Melody Gardot takes Disney songs to another level. Beautiful, relaxing and it's a perfect fit to pair with a lovely merlot and a quiet evening.
One of the versions of the Cinderella story is the French story "Cendrillon" by Charles Perrault and with the addition of the Fairy Godmother, Pumpkin, and the glass slipper- made it the most popular version. It makes it so fitting that "Bibbidi Bobbodi Boo" is sung in French by the talented Stacey Kent. I studied French for five years and I find the language absolutely beautiful.
Listen to this clip and enjoy- this is my favorite song from the entire album. If you have any trouble playing, click here to go directly to the clip.
Here's what Stacey Kent had to say about covering "Bibbidi Bobbodi Boo"-
“I’ve always loved Disney films and Disney music . There’s magic about the fairytale world they conjure up. The song I chose from Cinderella captures that feeling of magical wonderment that I felt as a child.
The song BIBBIDI BOBBIDI BOO, speaks to the child in us all, that still believes - or would like to believe - that we can do magic. As we grow up, we are at the risk of losing that sense of possibility but music has always had the power to transform the world and make it a better place; If that’s not magic, what is?”
My 2nd favorite version is "When You Wish Upon A Star" from Pinocchio. The song has ALWAYS given me goosebumps and when Gregory Porter sings it? It will bring you to tears. Gregory Porter's voice is so classical and, I feel like I have overused it- but magical. Just listen- (if it doesn't play- visit this link to listen)
Gregory Porter's reminiscing of Disney's movies and music:
"Disney represents the imaginative representation of good and evil for both children and adults, it represents a virtual dream state.I loved the music.
Favourite movie: I loved Jungle book, a lot of Jazz, soul & blues, I used to be intrigued and still am.
I liked Mufasa’s voice, it was commanding, and I loved when it was time for him to spring into action and be the king of the jungle.
I’m singing “When You Wish Upon A Star, one of the most iconic Disney song. It’s one of these iconic songs which have always been a part of the fabric of your life. I write songs that have a positive message & this one has a positive message, it says think higher/ greater, than your current situation for something better”
The entire album is breathtakingly beautiful and it's one that I have listened to daily since I received my copy to review. My job is very stressful and "Jazz Loves Disney" is a perfect album to unwind to and takes me to another place.
I thought EVERY single song was beautifully done and you won't be disappointed in a single cover.
1. Jamie Cullum – "Everybody Wants To Be A Cat" – from The Aristocats
2. Melody Gardot – "He’s A Tramp" – from Lady And The Tramp
3. Stacey Kent – "Bibbidi Bobbodo Boo" (French version) – from Cinderella
4. Gregory Porter – "When You Wish Upon A Star" – from Pinocchio
5. China Moses – "Why Don’t You Do Right" – from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
6. Raphaël Gualazzi – "I Wanna Be Like You" – from The Jungle Book
7. The Rob Mounsey Orchestra – "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes" – from Cinderella
8. Hugh Coltman – "You’ve Got A Friend In Me" – from Toy Story
9. Anne Sila – "Let It Go" – from Frozen
10. Melody Gardot & Raphaël Gualazzi – "The Bare Necessities" – from The Jungle Book
11. Laika – "Once Upon A Dream" – from Sleeping Beauty
12. Nikki Yanofsky -"Someday My Prince Will Come" – from Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs
13. The Hot Sardines – I Wanna Be Like You (French & English version) – from The Jungle Book (US release only)
Ready to add Jazz Loves Disney to your music collection?
It's available on iTunes (go here!) and on Amazon (go here!)
Which Disney songs are your favorites?