Sweet, salty and chewy Nutella pretzel bites make a perfect snack or dessert.
Do you ever get bummed when you don't have time to do what you enjoy? I feel like it's been foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr since I've read a book because I can. I just haven't had time or I've been too tired. I've been making myself find enough down time to just read a chapter (at least).
It's been glorious and I have finished a book. I swear, I used to read 2-3 a week and and this year? I've maybe read a total of three! Sadness. I am in love with Ann Aguirre's sci-fi series Sirantha Jax (here's an OLD review of the first book, Grimspace). They're amazing. I finished the entire series when the last book, Killbox, came out and then started the next series, The Dred Chronicles. It took me a bit to get into Perdition but ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh my gosh. The second and third books in the trilogy are amazing. It's dark, it's tortuous but oh man, the third and final book, (Breakout) was incredible. After spending a violent existence on Perdition (a space station turned prison), Dred, Jael and the rest of the crew finally get some peace.
It's incredible. If you like to read Science Fiction, grab the series. I swear. You will not disappointed.
You know what ELSE is incredible? Nutella. What goes even better with Nutella? Pretzels.
Definitely make these Nutella Pretzel Bites to go with your next reading marathon.
Nutella Pretzel Bites
1 ¼ cups warm water
1 package of active dry yeast
3 ¾ cups all purpose flour
¾ cup powdered sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
¼ cup butter, melted
4 cups warm water
½ cup baking soda
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Set aside for a few minutes until it starts to get foamy.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Add in the yeast water and vegetable oil.
- Mix into a dough.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes until it is nice and smooth.
- Lightly oil a bowl and place dough inside. Cover and let rise in a warm space for 45 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat your oven to 425.
- You will want an area that will allow you to spread out a bit. You will need to create a water bath by mixing warm water and the baking soda. Stir until the baking soda mostly dissolves.
- Place a few paper towels on a plate and set next to your water bath. You will also need a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each portion into a 3 foot long rope. (Remember making snakes with Play-Doh when you were younger? It’s time to put those skills to action again!)
- Cut into bite size pieces about 1 ½ - 2 inches long each.
- Dip each pretzel bite in the water bath and let drip on the paper towel for any excess water to drain off.
- Then place on your baking sheet.
- Cook for 4 minutes. Then turn the baking sheet and cook for 4 more minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix ¼ cup Nutella and a splash of milk. Microwave for 15 seconds and stir. Continue to microwave and stir until creamy. (You may need to add another small splash of milk. You want it to be easy to spread, but still a thick mix.)
- Spoon onto the top of the pretzel bites. Sprinkle with salt.
Mmmmm cut into bites. Almost ready!
Do you like to snack when reading?
What are your favorite snacks?